The Dean’s Cup Competition, sponsored by the Moot Court Board, is an appellate advocacy competition at the LSU Law Center in which students compete individually over the course of the entire spring semester for the right to claim the Dean’s Cup. The competition simulates oral argument before the United States Supreme Court in a series of three real, currently-pending United States Supreme Court cases. Competitors will be provided the parties’ briefs, the decision of the court below, and other relevant documents, and will compete in oral arguments through a series of individual elimination brackets. Competitors are not required to submit written briefs.
The Dean’s Cup Competition is open to members of the second and third-year classes only.
2018 Dean’s Cup Competition
Competition Rules and Registration:
Competition Dates (REVISED):
- Preliminary Round 1 (Case #1): March 5, 2018
- Preliminary Round 2 (Case #1): March 13, 2018
- Quarterfinal Round (Case #2): March 19, 2018
- Semifinal Round (Case #2): March 28, 2018
- Final Round (Case #3): April 9, 2018
2018 Dean’s Cup Case Files:
- Case #1 (Preliminary Rounds): New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association, Inc. v. National Collegiate Athletic Association, No. 16-477
- Case #2 (Quarterfinal & Semifinal Rounds): United States v. Microsoft Corp., No. 17-2
- Case #3 (Final Round): Minnesota Voters Alliance v. Mansky, No. 16-1435