The Trial Advocacy Board is pleased to sponsor the Transactional Competition, an internal competition at LSU to develop students’ skills in transactional drafting and negotiation. The Transactional Competition will proceed in three stages:
- Students work in teams and prepare a proposed draft deal agreement.
- Each team writes mark-ups to draft agreements prepared by the teams they will encounter during the Preliminary Rounds.
- Opposing teams meet to negotiate the contours of the deal. Each team will represent one of the two parties to the transaction.
Second and third-year law students may compete in the competition as teams of two. Each team will be provided with a case statement that sets out the factual background for the problem and introduces the parties to the transaction. All teams will be provided with a precedent form of agreement. Teams will also receive a video recording of an interview with their respective client and will have an opportunity to communicate with their “client” as they prepare the proposed draft agreement.
This competition is modeled on the Transactional LawMeet, and a Transactional LawMeet case file is used with permission for educational purposes only.
2018 Transactional Competition
- The case file and rules for the 2018 Transactional Competition will be released via email to all students on November 1, 2017.
- Proposed draft agreements will be due via email to email@example.com no later than 11:59 pm on January 5, 2018.
- Mark-ups to opposing draft agreements will be due to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 pm on January 15, 2018.
- Preliminary Rounds of the deal negotiations will be held on January 22 & 25, 2018.
- The Final Round of the Transactional Competition will be held on Monday, February 5, 2018 in the Tyson Room.